How to make `mv the hard way' fail

Shankar Unni shankarunni@netscape.net
Mon Dec 13 19:21:00 GMT 2004

Larry Hall wrote:
> At 12:34 AM 12/13/2004, Ben Wing wrote:
>>Maybe someone could add an option to `mv' to make it fail rather than
>>copy/rm? E.g. --no-copy.
>
> I expect this is a <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC> situation

Indeed. I, too, have felt the need for this, and feel the same way as
Ben. Let me see if I can take my first foray into the Cygwin patch
submittal wilderness :-).

By the way, what do folks think of tying this to the "-i" functionality?

Currently, "-i" is defined as "prompt before overwriting" (i.e. if the
target is *not* present, it still does things silently, else it
prompts).  Sounds like a fine candidate for "prompt before copying" as
well, as in "prompt before overwriting or moving-directories-by-copying"..