Anyone got latex2html to work on cygwin?? Fatal (use l2hconf): l2hconf.pm

bill BW bill_bw_1000@yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 10:11:00 GMT 2004

For the last 6 hrs I have been fighting with
latex2html and cygwin to get latex2html to
work, but I give up.

Has anyone got latex2html to work on cygwin?

This is what I have
1. Latex cygwin FULL installation.

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 me 1.5.12(0.116/4/2) 2004-11-10 08:34
i686 unknown unknown Cygwin

cygwins install just fine, all working well.

2. Get the netpbm programs, installed no problem

3. downloaded latex2html: latex2html-2002-2-1.tar
latest version of late2html. untar,

In the latex2html directory there is a file called
L2hos.pm , Edit this file by replacing $^O with 'unix'

4. added everything to path, and for latex2html did

./configure, make, make install

all went with NO errors !!

5. But now everytime I try the late2html command
on a .tex file, I get the error

$ latex2html foo.tex
Fatal (use l2hconf): l2hconf.pm did not return a true
value at (eval 7) line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 7) line 2.

I look at the file l2hconf.pm, and I
see this as first 3 lines:

#!/perl
# LaTeX2HTML l2hconf.pm
# $Id: l2hconf.pin,v 1.17 2002/06/15 22:46:36 RRM Exp
$

Ok, so line 2 is commented out. so what is
wrong?

I changed the first line to
#!/usr/local/perl

but it did not make any difference.

more information:

$ which perl
/usr/bin/perl

$ perl --version

This is perl, v5.8.5 built for
cygwin-thread-multi-64int

Why does it say '64int' there? my machine is
32 bit P4.

I read on the net that latex2html might not
work when using cygwin supplied perl, and I need
to install windows perl, such as active Perl,
and have that perl stub in cygwin tools, that
calls windows perl.exe instead. may be I should try
that?

I'll supply more information if needed.

thanks,
Bill