1.5.12-1: deadlock in gmtime/localtime

Till Immanuel Patzschke tip@q-hq.com
Fri Dec 17 00:54:00 GMT 2004

Hello,

the problem occurs in a multithreaded program, but only one thread
calling gmtime_r (calling localtime_r locks as well).  The other tread
calls gettimeofday/time.  The thread calling gmtime_r is stalled
completely.  Machine is XP SP2.

I've tested this problem on multiple machines (w/ diff timezones) but
there isn't one consistent system criterion which makes this problem
occur.  However, if it occurs, it occurs persistently.

Since I required gmtime the workaround was to write a gmtime routine
(based on the existing one) without the special case for !is_gmtime --
works fine, no dead locks.

Has anyone encountered a similar problems and is there a generic
workaround/fix for this problem?

Thanks,

Immanuel

P.S. Attached cygcheck.out...