cp and "are the same file"

Jeremy C. Reed reed@reedmedia.net
Sat Dec 18 00:34:00 GMT 2004

I read messages about this from others in various list archives.

I am using cygwin. uname -a tells me:
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 myhost 1.5.12(0.116/4/2) 2004-11-10 08:34 i686 unknown
unknown Cygwin

/etc/setup/installed.db says I have fileutils-4.1-2.tar.bz2

cp --version says I have:
cp (fileutils) 4.1

http://www.cygwin.com/packages/fileutils/ seems to indicate I have the
newest version. Is there a patch against the official fileutils (before
coreutils) or do I need to do it myself to see the changes?

Anyways, I want to cp to magically see the .exe and copy correctly.

Example of error:

 cp: `/home/jreed/tmp/bmake/bmake' and `/home/jreed/pkg/bin/bmake' are the
 same file

"are the same file" is the wrong message.

I am helping port the pkgsrc build structure to cygwin. pkgsrc is a
portable package building system for Linux, NetBSD, Darwin, Mac OS X,
Irix, SunOS/Solaris, AIX, HPUX, BSD/OS, FreeBSD, Interix and other
operating systems for managing over 5000 software suites. It provides: 1)
a categorized collection of specifications that help automate fetching,
checking checksums, patching, configuring, building, installing and
packaging software suites; 2) package installation and maintenance tools
(like pkg_add, pkg_info, pkg_delete and others). Visit
http://www.pkgsrc.org/ for information.

I am hoping to just improve cp to do the right thing versus fixing
numerous places that use it.

Or maybe I can get gcc to stop saving with ".exe" suffix. It appears I
don't need ".exe" for my executables to work. Any ideas on how to get gcc
to not automatically append an ".exe".

I looked in FAQ and didn't see either of these issues covered.

Thank you,

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/