Where did the output go and question regarding return values of getopt_long()

Mikael Åsberg mikas493@student.liu.se
Sun Dec 19 20:26:00 GMT 2004

"Larry Hall" wrote
> [...]
>>                   char* const argv[],
>>                   bool& verbose,
>>                   vector<string>& numbers)
>>{
>>  const int id_numbers = 4711;
>>  const int id_verbose = 4712;
>>  const int id_help = 4713;
>>
>>  const option long_options[] =
>>  {
>>     {"numbers", 1, NULL, id_numbers},
>>     {"verbose", 0, NULL, id_verbose},
>>     {"help", 0, NULL, id_help},
>>     {NULL, 0, NULL, 0}
>>  };
>>
>>  const char* const short_options = "";
>>
>>  int c = 0;
>>
>>  while((c = getopt_long(
>>            argc,
>>            argv,
>>            short_options,
>>            long_options,
>>            NULL)) != -1)
>>  {
>>     switch(c)
>>     {
>>        cout << "c = " << c << endl; /* Never shown on screen... */
>>
>>        case id_numbers:
>>        {
>>           cout << "Calling extract_numbers() with " << optarg << endl;
>>
>>           extract_numbers(optarg, numbers);
>>
>>           break;
>>        }
>>        case id_verbose:
>>        {
>>           cout << "Setting verbose = true" << endl;
>>
>>           verbose = true;
>>
>>           break;
>>        }
>>        case id_help:
>>        {
>>           cout << "TODO: Add short description regarding usage here." <<
>> endl;
>>
>>           exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
>>        }
>>        /* c seems to equal '?' for missing parameter as well... */
>>        case ':':
>>        {
>>           cerr << "Missing parameter." << endl;
>>
>>           break;
>>        }
>>        /* Only triggers for unknown options beginning with -- */
>>        case '?':
>>        {
>>           cerr << "Ignoring unknown option." << endl;
>>
>>           break;
>>        }
>>        default:
>>        {
>>           /* Throw exception? */
>>           cerr << "Should not be reached." << endl;
>>        }
>>     }
>>  }
>>}
>>
>>My first question is about the
>>cout << "c = " << c << endl;
>>inside the switch. I never see this output, why? I tried writing the
>>output to a file as well but that file was empty when the program
>>finished. All other "output-statements" are displayed just fine in this
>>function (and the rest of the program).
>
> Did you look at the warning you get from the line in question?
>
> warning: unreachable code at beginning of switch statement

Lol, of course! It's not reachable...I should've seen that. Anyway, I always
compile with -Wall -W -ansi -pedantic and my homebrewn gcc-3.4.3 didn't
yield any warnings at all.

Thanks for the help, Larry! One question answered. I'm still wondering about
the return values of getopt_long(), though, and I will try the same code on
Fedora as soon as I get it setup properly on my laptop.

/ Mikael