bug? cp and coreutils-5.2.1-2

Sam Vaughan sam@vaughantech.com
Wed Dec 22 23:27:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Raye Raskin wrote:

>> Just updated my Cygwin. If I use cp to copy a file, in this case an
>> executable, I get "This program cannot be run in DOS mode" when I try to
>> run the copied file.
>>
>> The copied file also now differs from the original.
>>
>> $ ls -l /bin/sum.exe
>> -rwxr-x---+ 1 sam Users 26624 Dec 21 02:32 /bin/sum.exe
>>
>> $ cp /bin/sum.exe copysum.exe
>>
>> $ ls -l copysum.exe
>> -rwxr-x---  1 sam None 26713 Dec 22 14:35 copysum.exe
>>
>> $ cmp /bin/sum.exe copysum.exe
>> /bin/sum.exe copysum.exe differ: char 119, line 1
>>
>> $ ./copysum.exe
>> This program cannot be run in DOS mode.
>>

>> Anybody else experiencing this? I have tested this out on three different
>> computers that have been updated today, all produce the same results. On a
>> box thats running the older cygwin, cp copies the files exactly and I have
>> no trouble running them.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Sam
>
> Works fine for me.  Maybe you'd better do
>
> $ which cp
> $ which ls
>
> ...and for good measure,
>
> $ /bin/sum.exe

Ok.

$ which sum.exe
/usr/bin/sum.exe

$ /usr/bin/sum.exe
and
$ sum
  (both just hangs waiting for input)

$ cp /usr/bin/sum.exe copysum.exe

$ ls -l /usr/bin/sum.exe
-rwxr-x---+ 1 sam Users 26624 Dec 21 02:32 /usr/bin/sum.exe

$ ls -l ./copysum.exe
-rwxr-x---  1 sam None 26713 Dec 22 15:19 ./copysum.exe

$ ./copysum.exe
This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

$ find / -name "sum.exe"
/bin/sum.exe
/usr/bin/sum.exe

And I have no alias's to cp. (or any other aliases)

For clarity,

$ which ls
/usr/bin/ls