"Hyperthreading" problems

Stephane Donze donze@exalead.com
Tue Dec 28 22:29:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. You are right, I did not look at the code, and
I certainly do not pretend to be able to fix this problem.

I am sorry to have to say that, but your message is a very good example
of the fundamental difference between a project that is useable and
reliable, and a project that "almost works" and will never do more that
that.
The problem I reported is known for almost 2 years (posted by Henrik
Wist, 20 Mar 2003, subject was "cygwin commands sometime hang on
dual-processor (WinNT-SP5)"). I don't care if it is the same bug or not,
the fact is that cygwin has a critical problem (i.e. something that
prevent users to use even simple commands like 'ls' !!) on
multiprocessor machines and nobody seems to care about it. You cannot
just expect people to "wait until you someday have a system that shows
the problem" everytime they encounter a bug.

If you guys want cygwin to be used by real people, in real life
production or development environments, you should go a bit further than
"I don't have the problem on my computer, so fix it yourself". If you
don't want to or are not able to pay attention to "real world" bugs,
cygwin  will probably never be more than an "almost working" program
that runs on your computer the time to take nice screenshots, but fails
miserably when users try to make it work in the real life.

Regards,
Stephane

NB: this post is not at all about "commercial software versus OSS",
there are lots of "industrial quality" open source projects like Apache,
MySQL, etc.