Porting issues: file owned by root, user nobody

David Arnstein arnstein@pobox.com
Thu Dec 30 19:06:00 GMT 2004

My issues concern porting a Linux application to cygwin.  I read
http://cygwin.com/faq/ but I did not find answers.  If there is another
resource I should read, please advise.

The application is "dnrd," published on SourceForge  For security
reasons, dnrd
1.  Insists that its config files be owned by root.
2.  Changes its uid to "nobody," using setuid().

Has the cygwin community settled on uniform methods to deal with these
programming tasks?

For the file ownership issue, I just have to decide if the appropriate
owner is SYSTEM, Administrator, or something else.  And what about group
ownership?

For the uid issue, I might have to create an unprivileged account to
take the place of "nobody."  Unless a more clever solution has been
worked out.  Also, setuid() always fails for me.  Are there limitations
to this function in cygwin?