cygwin/xfree86/emacs problems after upgrading

Charles Plager cplager+ucla@fnal.gov
Wed Feb 4 21:32:00 GMT 2004

Thomas L Roche wrote:
> I was annoyed by some shortcomings of my cygwin emacs (21.1? whatever
> version was included around the time of cygwin-1.5.5-1), such as lack
> of electricity with kill-ring-save and oddity with multiline kill'ing,
> so ~29 Jan I upgraded to cygwin-1.5.6-1, emacs-21.2.1, and whatever
> the latest XFree86 was then, along with the other goodness cygwin's
> setup advised me to get. Since then emacs life has been bad, but I'm
> not sure why, since available evidence seems to point in several
> directions.
>
> Note that I run emacs via
>
> emacs --debug-init &
>
> from bash in an xterm which I launch with
>
> start XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -emulate3buttons
>
> I typically run 2 emacs windows (second created with C-x 5 b) and
> 1 xterm, all of which usually overlap ... until the emacs windows
> disappear, apparently randomly, although lately I'm convinced that
> emacs crashes are more likely when I'm either resizing or
> minimizing its windows. I've so far run 2 cygwin sessions today,
> once at home (with access to shared drives via a VPN) and once at
> work (directly on ethernet), and the xterm traces have been:

These problems seem very similar to what I see when using Emacs, except
that I use Exceed as my X windows server.  I see similar (but not quite
identical in frequency) problems with both emacs 21.2-12 and 21.2-11.

Charles