cygwin rebooting computer

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Feb 11 18:21:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Anders Nyström wrote:

> I am a big fan of cygwin and has just learned the TAB completion thing.
>
> Now, my harddisk is partitioned in 2 so sometimes (not always)
> when doing cd /cygdrive/d TAB, teh computer goes black = softboot = reset
>
> Am I doing anything wrong or what
> rgds Anders Nystrom

Anders,

Cygwin by itself (i.e., without explicitly making the appropriate Windows
calls, as "shutdown" does) should not be able to reboot your machine.  I'd
suspect a faulty driver of some sort.  Does this problem happen on "ls
/cygdrive" as well?

My guess is you should be able to reproduce this problem from a pure
Windows program, by making the same call sequence as the one in
fhandler_cygdrive::set_drives() in src/winsup/cygwin/fhandler_disk_file.cc
(even just calling GetLogicalDriveStrings() might do it).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu