Kill -9 PID gives Operation not permitted error

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Feb 13 21:34:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Parthiv Shah wrote:

> Hi,
> I am starting a process from cygwin on windows and I can see the PID in
> "ps -ef" command. when I try to kill this PID with kill -9 PID it gives me
> error that "operation not permitted"
> I start the process with ./application.exe on command line of cygwin.
>
> thanks,
> Parthiv

Try /bin/kill -9 PID, and if that doesn't work, /bin/kill -f PID.  Since
you're starting the application as yourself, you should have enough
privileges to kill it.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/