Why choice between unix and dos line endings?

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Sun Feb 15 19:05:00 GMT 2004

At 09:10 PM 2/14/2004, Chuck Irvine you wrote:
>Something I've never been able to figure out is why Cygwin offers to
>install with the choice of either dos or unix line endings. The way I
>see it is that using dos line endings allows for good integration with
>native windows apps. I can see no advantage of using unix line endings,
>though I guess there must be one otherwise the option wouldn't be
>offered. Can any one shed some light on this. Thanks
>
>Chuck

By definition, there's only 1 reason to choose UNIX over DOS as an
installation option.  It facilitates the use of packages that have not been
completely/properly ported to Windows.  If you want maximum compatibility
with UNIX apps, choose UNIX.  Otherwise, choose DOS.  Practically, this
boils down to the fact that you'll run into less trouble overall (whether
using Windows or Cygwin apps) with the UNIX setting.  But there are certain
usage patterns that make it reasonable to offer the option.  So the
recommendation here is to use UNIX unless you know of a reason you need to
do otherwise.

Holliston, MA 01746