20040214 no fix for unzip, cygwin debugging howto?

Thomas L Roche tlroche@us.ibm.com
Mon Feb 16 09:31:00 GMT 2004

Christopher Faylor Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:12:02 -0500
> it occurred to me that I could add some increased debugging which
> might show why cmalloc was returning NULL.

How thoughtful of you.

> So, the next snapshot will have more strace output for the failing
> condition, meaning that if you do this:

>   strace -o strace.out unzip whatever

> it should produce a large strace file.  The only interesting output for
> now would come from the _csbrk function which will have words like
> "couldn't commit memory for cygwin heap..." in it.

> If you are interested in tracking this down, please send the information
> from that line here.

Unfortunately 20040215 came out while I was debugging 20042014. Since
you claim to have done anything that might have actually fixed the
problem, the results obtained at

are still relevant.

Christopher Faylor Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:36:44 -0500
> To be perfectly frank, your inability to figure anything out here
> seems to illustrate that you will not be able to provide any useful
> debugging details. Maybe you should do yourself a favor, standardize
> on 1.5.5 and just give up. If building and debugging is beyond your
> current skills then it's not likely that you'll be providing any
> useful feedback anytime soon.

"To be perfectly frank," your insolence is egregious; it will be
addressed separately.