limiting strace?, was: failure of unzip and recent cygwin1.dll

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Mon Feb 16 21:20:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Thomas L Roche wrote:

> Is there a way to limit the size of the strace output _file_, rather
> than just the output file buffer, while preserving desired
> information?
>
> I previously used strace to debug the problem that 20040213 induced in
> emacs 'desktop', therefore in emacs' startup; nevertheless the
> resulting strace.out was > 21 MB. Thus I am somewhat hesitant to avail
> myself of
>
> Christopher Faylor Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:12:02 -0500
> > more strace output for the failing condition, meaning that if you do
> > this:
>
> >   strace -o strace.out unzip whatever
>
> > it should produce a large strace file.
>
> (quite the understatement :-) since
>
> * the unzip SEGVs typically occur after 30-60 min runtime
>
> * I have < 5 GB free space.
>
> Is there a way to limit the file size directly, or to script its
> rotation?
>
> Alternatively, is there a recommended mask setting that will preserve
> the desired information, while not blowing out my disk? I'm assuming
> 'malloc' would be part of the recommended setting: anything else?

You're on Cygwin, man!  Use the scripting tools! :-)

Don't forget that strace by default sends the trace to stdout.  You can
then pipe it to any program you wish (e.g., "tail -100", or "grep -v ...",
or a whole bunch of others).  You can then redirect the output of the pipe
chain to a file, if you wish...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/