Java Thread Dump in Bash

Randall R Schulz rschulz@sonic.net
Wed Feb 18 18:48:00 GMT 2004

Frank-Michael,

I hesitate to continue this on the Cygwin list, but I will, for now.

At 09:45 2004-02-18, Frank-Michael Moser wrote:
>Randall, does your Java application die after pressing Ctrl-Break or not?

It appears it terminates. As you've had me trying this much more than I
ever have in the past, I've found that the behavior is not really very
uniform or predictable.

When the program's standard input and output are not redirected, I see
the thread dump and the program dies--usually, but not quite always.
Sometimes the program just terminates. I had interpeted the termination
as an indication of an end-of-file having been generated, but that may
have been incorrect.

When I run the program with standard input, output and error redirected
to files and type CTRL-BREAK, the program terminates but the thread
dump is nowhere to be seen in the file that received standard output,
the file that received standard error nor the console / tty.

I could hypothesize that the recent changes in Cygwin signal handling
might have something to do with this. However, I know nothing of the
details of this change, just that a change was mentioned in the Cygwin
release notes. So this is really just blind speculation, especially
since I really don't have much of a basis for comparison (in a
before-and-after sense).

Randall Schulz