search and replace tool (Attn: gawk maintainer)

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Feb 18 22:26:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Larry Hall wrote:

> At 02:59 PM 2/18/2004, dAniel hAhler you wrote:
> >Hello cygwin-list,
> >
> >I'm looking for a search and replace tool to replace a text portion in
> >a bunch (3500+) of files.
> >
> >That should be an easy one.. :)
>
> This isn't really Cywgin-specific.  As a result, it's off-topic for this
> list.  I will, however, point you in one direction that could help.  'sed'
> or 'awk' are good possibilities here.  Of course, you'd want to wrap
> these in a script that created a new file and then replaced the original
> with the result.  This same process could be used on any platform that
> supports these tools however so talking much about the details isn't really
> appropriate.  There's plenty of information on the net about these utilities
> if you're interested in finding out more about how they work.
>
> HTH,
> --
> Larry Hall

Larry, you missed 'perl'.  How could you? ;-)

FWIW, both perl and sed have the ability to edit files in-place (although
this functionality is somewhat buggy in sed, see, for example,
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-11/msg00773.html>).

To make this more Cygwin-related, there is no man page for "awk" in
Cygwin.  There is one for "gawk".  Since /usr/bin/awk.exe is a symlink to
/usr/bin/gawk.exe, would it be possible to create a symlink to
/usr/share/man/man1/gawk.1 as /usr/share/man/man1/awk.1?  Corinna?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu