vi and cygwin

Alejandro Lopez-Valencia dradul@etb.net.co
Sat Feb 21 13:00:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:20:00 -0800, Brian Dessent wrote in
<40369620.D3D58802@dessent.net>:

>Totte Karlsson wrote:
>>
>> my question was if vi is available under cygwin. I know about vim and about
>> it's compatible option. Just curious if there is a "pure" vi available and
>> it seems not to be...
>
>Then the answer is no.  What you see with setup.exe is what you get.
>(WYSWSIWYG?)  Someone out there at some point in time might have ported
>"pure" vi to compile with Cygwin but if so it's not an official package
>and therefore you'd have to find/ask that person about it, not this
>list.

Wrong. The answer is yes. Go to http://ex-vi.berlios.de/, download a
copy of BSD licensed Unix 7 ex sourcecode, do a couple of trivial
modifications and you are in business.

Now, why is not ITP'ed by yours truly? Because the maintainer doesn't
want it ported to Windows, that's why. I may find he is a pompous
cuadruped arse when it comes to his people skills, but I do agree with
95% of the reasons he has not to want such port; so, you are on your
own, unless someone else with less sensitivity steps in and packages
it..