vi and cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Feb 21 15:28:00 GMT 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:20:00 -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
>
> >Totte Karlsson wrote:
> >>
> >> my question was if vi is available under cygwin. I know about vim and about
> >> it's compatible option. Just curious if there is a "pure" vi available and
> >> it seems not to be...
> >
> >Then the answer is no.  What you see with setup.exe is what you get.
> >(WYSWSIWYG?)  Someone out there at some point in time might have ported
> >"pure" vi to compile with Cygwin but if so it's not an official package
> >and therefore you'd have to find/ask that person about it, not this
> >list.
>
> Wrong.

AFAIU, the question was whether pure 'vi' was available *as a Cygwin
package*.  The answer is "no".  Brian is totally correct.

> The answer is yes. Go to http://ex-vi.berlios.de/, download a
> copy of BSD licensed Unix 7 ex sourcecode, do a couple of trivial
> modifications and you are in business.

This is not a Cygwin package.

> Now, why is not ITP'ed by yours truly? Because the maintainer doesn't
> want it ported to Windows, that's why.

FWIW, I couldn't find anything on the above web page about this.
However, I do recall some discussion on this mailing list a year or so
ago) about some piece of software or another (possibly even by the same
author) that wasn't available for the same reason.  The decision was to
forget it (of course).  Perhaps someone else can help unearth the pointers
to the actual threads (ah, after I typed the above, a Google search for
"gunnar ritter Cygwin" showed that this was about "nail", by the same
author, and happened almost exactly a year ago).

> I may find he is a pompous cuadruped arse when it comes to his people
> skills, but I do agree with 95% of the reasons he has not to want such
> port; so, you are on your own, unless someone else with less sensitivity
> steps in and packages it..

We can't go against the wishes of the original author (especially if those
wishes are part of the license).  Furthermore, no upstream patches will be
accepted for such a project, so maintaining a Cygwin version may (and
probably will) turn out to be a nightmare.  I pity the foolhardy soul who
decides to take it on.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/