Snapshot 20040221: make hangs on XP

Volker Quetschke quetschke@scytek.de
Wed Feb 25 14:21:00 GMT 2004

>>I'll try different systems ..
OK, this one is a Win2000SP3, AMD XP1700, 512MB, cygcheck attached.
With Snapshot 20040221 I get:

$ ./t.sh > freeze.out
make: *** virtual memory exhausted.  Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Makefile:6: *** Recursive variable `SHELL' references itself
(eventually).  Stop.
Failed after 1487 runs
[q@lisi]/tmp/freeze:{510}:
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 lisi 1.5.8s(0.110/4/2) 20040221 17:58:57 i686 unknown
unknown Cygwin

>>>And, by the way: http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-02/msg00923.html
>>
>>and also produce some statistics. The problem is that I tried every
>>snapshot since 1.5.7, (unfortunately not all mentioned in this thread)
>>and I didn't find one that works without freezing or erroring out.
>
> I wasn't asking for every snapshot mentioned in the thread.  I was
> asking for context.  If you tried a bunch of snapshots and none worked
> that is an adequate amount of information.  There's no need to rerun
> anything.

I don't know anything special about the context. I started trying ths
testcase because since 1.5.7 I get random freezes on my Openoffice
tinderbox machine and it is much smaller. (Note: this is a third machine
but it's hard to change the cygwin1.dll only with ssh. I did't test
different snapshots on that computer.)

The first machine in this thread is a Notebook with XP home and nearly
nothing besides cygwin installed, the second (the cygcheck output in
this mail) is a desktop system.

Volker

P.S.: A "me too" from someone else would be nice to see that this
is not a "Volker did something stupid" problem.

--
PGP/GPG key  (ID: 0x9F8A785D)  available  from  wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
key-fingerprint 550D F17E B082 A3E9 F913  9E53 3D35 C9BA 9F8A 785D