Disappearing Bash and __getreent procedure

Ryan _ rhinospit@hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 00:53:00 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I recently did a fresh install of Cygwin and installed the default
components plus those needed for openssh. When I tried initially to run
Cygwin, a window appeared (looked like a dos prompt) then disappeared.
Checking the path and trying to find someone on the web about this, I found
nothing. So I tried replacing the newest release of the cygwin1.dll (ver
1005.7.0) with version 1005.4.0. At first that didn't work ... but after
clicking the shortcut 20 times out of frustration, the bash shell appeared!

Problem was ... bash couldn't find any of the files. Running ./[command]
worked ... so I played around with the path until it worked. (Honestly, I
don't know what I changed to make it work.) So I ran ssh-host-config and
then tried to run "cygrunsrv --start -sshd" and I get an error box entitled,
"sshd.exe - Entry Point Not Found" with the error, "The procedure entry
point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic link library
cygwin1.dll." When I looked that up, I saw that that was an error in older
version of the dll (great.).

Next try was to use the nightly snapshot of cygwin1.dll (1005.8.0 released
2/27/04). I get the same window dissapearing act as the first time.

So I'm a bit stuck as to how to proceed.

I just want openssh ... is that so hard?

Thanks.

Ryan