Crash of mysql under cygwin with g++ 3.3.1

Fabrice Marchal fmarchal@inf.ethz.ch
Sun Feb 29 18:16:00 GMT 2004

Hallo Gerrit,

thanks a lot for your help, now I have it working properly, with a
statically
linked client and I only need to tell users to use the cygwin1.dll.

I only had to do a small work-around because my client keeps telling me
that it
"cannot connect through /var/mysql/mysql.sock". The workaround is
to use mysql_real_connect with host=127.0.0.1 because if I use
"localhost" it turns to named pipes instead of using TCP. Any idea why it
is that way?

Reagrds,
Fabrice

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

>Hallo Fabrice,
>
>Am Samstag, 28. Februar 2004 um 13:38 schriebst du:
>

>>Hallo Gerrit,
>>

>>thanks for your help. I think I will now use your compiled libs instead of
>>those provided by the MYSQL installer.
>>

>>I still have a couple question if I want to recompile myself the
>>libraries:
>>

>>1) as I understand, the mysqlclient.a are compiled from the MYSQL source
>>tree
>>

>Yes.
>

>>2) where does the cygmysqlclient.dll library come from? Is it also
>>compiled from the MYSQL source tree?
>>

>Yes, this is the shared library which is created from the MySQL
>sources, the libmysqlclient.a is the static archive created from the
>same sources and the libmysqlclient.dll.a is the import library used
>to link executables against the shared runtime library.
>

>>3) if I want to ship my MYSQL client that has been linked with
>>libmysqlclient.a, I need cygwin.dll because my client is compiled under
>>cygwin. If I am right I need to ship also cygmysqlclient.dll. Since the
>>customer will have MYSQL installed, I am afraid that there could be a
>>conflict with HIS libMySQL.dll, is that possible?
>>

>If you link against the static archive (libmysqlclient.a), you won't
>need the DLL, if you link with `-L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient`, the
>import library (libmysqlclient.dll.a) is picked at first by the linker
>and the executable is finally linked against the shared library.
>There should be no conflicts.  To be safe, tell your users that you
>deliver a cygwin1.dll and that it is not possible to use two Cygwin
>runtime libraries at the same time.
>

>Gerrit

Fabrice Marchal           http://www.inf.ethz.ch/~marchal
fabrice.marchal@ieee.org  marchal@inf.ethz.ch         +41-(0)1-632-56-79
ETH Zurich, CoLab Computational Laboratory        FAX:+41-(0)1-632-17-03