new snapshot with some tty/WinMe fixes

Pierre A. Humblet Pierre.Humblet@ieee.org
Sun Jan 4 00:19:00 GMT 2004

At 06:25 PM 1/3/2004 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 06:16:28PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>>1) With the snapshot I can start cygwin programs fine and I have not
observed
>>any popup.
>
>Wish I could say the same.  I am seeing the popup consistently.  At least
now I
>can duplicate it.  I even understand it.
>
>>2) The regression repeated before (see original mail for more details) is
still there:
>>"However when using sh,
>> setsid sh -c "echo hello > /dev/tty1; /bin/sleep 10; /bin/echo there >
/dev/tty"
>> sh and the final echo hang forever (with echo in the "O" state in ps),
>> and sh cannot be terminated with kill (OK from the task manager)."
>
>I could be wrong but I don't recall saying that I'd fixed that problem.

You are right, you said:
"I tried all of the test cases that Pierre previously reported but I'm sure I
 missed one."
So I looked for the one.

>>3) There is another regression that I had also observed with the previous
snapshot,
>>but after sending my previous message: the Console is not properly freed
after
>>setsid when CYGWIN=notty. Programs such as inetd do not go in the
background when
>>starting from a command.com window or from the Windows "run" menu.
>>Things are fine with CYGWIN=tty
>
>"Go in the background" == ?

If you type "setsid sleep 10" in command.com, you get the prompt back
immediately
when CYGWIN=tty, but you have to wait 10 s if CYGWIN=notty.
If you execute inetd from "Run", the window stays around.

>>By the way, I don't understand why open_fhs is modified in the slave tty
and ctty
>>code. The only purpose I see in open_fhs is to free the console at the
right time.
>>Why should the presence of a slave tty, possibly connected to an entirely
different
>>console window, impact on the local console? (this is not a new issue).
>
>You're right.  This is not a new issue.  It's even been discussed before.
I don't
>know if it was in private email between me and Corinna but since you
apparently
>haven't searched for any past discussion, I'll be lazy and assume it was
>discussed in cygwin-developers.

According to the Changelog it was probably done in early March 2003 but I
didn't
find any relevant discussion around that date.

Pierre