DLL vs. shared object linking behavior

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Sun Jan 4 19:11:00 GMT 2004

At 06:19 AM 1/4/2004, Jani Tiainen you wrote:
>Karl Robillard wrote:
>
>>I have a shared library which has undefined references to functions.  On Linux I can build and use the library without problems, but when I build it as a DLL using Cygwin the undefined references are link errors.  Can the Windows loader handle unresolved symbols in DLLs at runtime?  Is there some magic compiler option I can use to allow this?
>
>Well I've been struggling with same things.
>
>Problem is that windows doesn't allow direct undefined references in DLL's. So you have to do some magic.
>
>Look reply chain titled "DLL and external symbols", there is some information that got me through.

Right.  You essentially need to create a "stub" library to link against,
typically called an import/export library.  You can probably find some
references for this in the Cygwin list archives, as Jani suggested, but
this is really just pure Windows "stuff".  As such, discussion is really
off-topic for this list.  I'd recommend the MSDN and/or gcc sites as good
options for detailed information on this subject, if you need it.

Holliston, MA 01746