bug in cygwin build of Make

Jason Pearce jason.pearce@ieee.org
Wed Jan 14 09:41:00 GMT 2004

I have discovered a problem in cygwin's Make.

I am calling a sub-make that goes to another directory. That bit works
fine, but the Makefiles have a variable set from a shell command. That
shell seems to be spawned from the wrong directory. I have created a
small example illustrating the problem

dir2/Makefile:
---------------
VARIABLE = $(shell echo $$PWD)

target :
    ${MAKE} -C ../dir1 sources
    @echo VARIABLE set to ${VARIABLE}

dir1/Makefile:
--------------
VARIABLE = $(shell echo $$PWD)

sources :
    @echo VARIABLE set to ${VARIABLE}

Then, from dir2 run "make target" and I get the following output:

make -C ../dir1 sources
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/Make/dir1'
VARIABLE set to /tmp/Make/dir2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/Make/dir1'
VARIABLE set to /tmp/Make/dir2

You see that the sub-make's VARIABLE is set to "/tmp/Make/dir2" not
"/tmp/Make/dir1". Running the same thing from Linux gets the result I
expected.

(Example and cycheck output are atatched)

Jason