MS offers "Services For Unix" free of charge

Sun Jan 18 05:05:00 GMT 2004

On Jan 16 11:24, Doug VanLeuven wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Even though it allows mapping between UNIX user names (from the evil
> >"other" side) and Windows user names, it doesn't map the POSIX permission
> >bits into NTFS like permissions.  If you look into the file property box,
> >you'll see no "Security" tab.  The file access from Windows is a bit like
> >access to files on FAT partitions.  The permissions are statically set in
> >an administration MMC snap-in.
> >[...]
> I'm not a particular fan of MS NFS client (slow), and I don't know what
> version you worked with, but V3.0 client certainly can set
> user/group/other permissions, in other words, there is a security tab.

This is a special tab which is unfortunately not a mapping to NTFS
permissions in a way which is transparent to applications.  IOW,
you won't be able to use Cygwin's chmod or chown on NFS shares for that
reason.  Tests show that e. g. the system call GetFileSecurity() just
returns with Windows error 2 (No such file) on files on an NFS share.
The GetVolumeInformation() call returns with the below information:

    Max Filenamelength : 255
    Filesystemname     : NFS
    Flags:
      FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH  : FALSE
      FILE_CASE_PRESERVED_NAMES   : TRUE
      FILE_UNICODE_ON_DISK        : FALSE
      FILE_PERSISTENT_ACLS        : FALSE
      FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION       : FALSE
      FILE_VOLUME_QUOTAS          : FALSE
      FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES  : FALSE
      FILE_SUPPORTS_REPARSE_POINTS: FALSE
      FILE_SUPPORTS_REMOTE_STORAGE: FALSE
      FILE_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED   : FALSE
      FILE_SUPPORTS_OBJECT_IDS    : FALSE
      FILE_SUPPORTS_ENCRYPTION    : FALSE
      FILE_NAMED_STREAMS          : FALSE

As you can see, accessing NFS shares using the SFU 3.5 NFS client
doesn't support persistent ACLs, which would represent the transparent
interface I was talking about.  It isn't even mounted as case sensitive
file system!

Probably there is an ABI somewhere but it would require special
programming considerations.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.