HEADSUP: Apache maintainer wanted!

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Tue Jan 20 16:49:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Rafael Kitover wrote:

> [...]
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 5:54 AM
> >To: cygwin<at>cygwin<dot>com
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >Cc: cygwin-apps<at>cygwin<dot>com
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ahem...

> >Subject: HEADSUP: Apache maintainer wanted!
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >The apache package is without maintainer for two weeks now.  The former
> >maintainer wasn't able to update the apache package and its related
> >mod_FOO packages since October, when the last call for update of packages
> >were made, which still haven't updated to using OpenSSL 0.9.7 instead
> >of 0.9.6.
> >
> >So, what we need are one or more people who are willing to take over
> >maintainership of apache and the mod_FOO packages
> >
> >WITHIN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS.
> >
> >If nobody takes over, the apache and subsequent packages will be
> >removed from the Cygwin distribution on 2004-02-03.
> >
> >Corinna
>
> Hi Corinna,
>
> just out of curiosity, in cases of emergency like this, would it be acceptable
> if some one or more people volunteered to update, test and upload a package
> (and take care of resulting fallout/question) but not to sign up as the
> regular maintainer, would that work?

Umm, how is this different than signing up as a maintainer and abandoning
it later? ;-)

Seriously, though, IMO, if you (or someone else) take over a package and
announce at some point that you can't keep maintaining it and that the
package is up for grabs, that's absolutely fine.  What you've outlined
above are the duties of the maintainer, and there's nothing that says that
you absolutely have to maintain it forever.  Life happens, maintainers
come and go...  In fact, Stipe did a reasonably good job on apache up
until very recently...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/