Wrapping long lines (Was Re: FAQ update suggestion for "I'm having basic problems with find. Why?")

William Blunn bill@tao-group.com
Fri Jul 9 10:46:00 GMT 2004

> On Jul  9 11:03, William Blunn wrote:
> > I think not.  I think the counter argument would be "Yes we know it
> > makes the occasional command-line appear line-wrapped, but that is a
> > nano-issue compared to the downside which is that it will mess up the
> > display for all the flowed messages, which is a far bigger issue."
>
> My 2ct are simply this: If somebody wants to be read, he or she should
> stick to the common rules.  If somebody isn't able or willing to learn
> these rules, bad luck for him or her.  I'm against pampering clueless
> people so that they can lean back and stay clueless.  Call me mean.

You're mean :-)

Your rules appear to be arbitrary, and not based on anything relevant.

It would be like saying: You have to begin and end each message with the
word "porcupine", otherwise we won't give you the time of day.

You do also appear to be playing the game of "That's the way it is, get
over it".

OK, if you own a particular domain (and I mean that in the general
dictionary sense of the word), you can dictate any set of rules you
like.

It does appear though that these rules are arbitrary, without benefit,
yet have identifiable problems, and their current sole purpose appears
to be to identify members of a club.

I only wish that I could go back in time and show the inventor of <PRE>
the havoc they have wreaked by making it turn off wrapping by default.

Bill
--
William Blunn <bill at tao-group dot com>
Tao, 62/63 Suttons Business Park, Earley, Reading, RG6 1AZ, UK