Problem with echo in tcsh 6.13.00-2 in Cygwin 1.5.10 (fwd)

David Mastronarde mast@bio3d.Colorado.EDU
Mon Jul 12 20:53:00 GMT 2004

The latest version of tcsh has a problem with the built-in echo.
When echo is used to write to a file from within a script, and then the
script runs a program that attempts to open the file, the program is not
able to open the file.

The attachment has a sample program, fortopen.f, which gave the problem
when compiled with the Intel Fortran compiler.  A C program using
fopen did not show the problem.  The problem also does not occur when the
program is compiled with g77 under Cygwin.  The executable made the tar
file too large for your mail program, so it is not included.  (Please
tell me a better email address to use if you need it from me.)

The script echotest uses echo to write to a file, then runs fortopen which
tries to open the file.  It does it first with echo piped to cat, and with
/bin/echo, which do not fail, then it does it with the built-in echo,
which fails with permission denied.

The problem occurs only with tcsh 6.13, not tcsh 6.12 (see two output
files).

I am running Windows XP SP1.

Thanks.

David Mastronarde