rsync very slow, but not a network issue

Alexis Gallagher alexis@alexisgallagher.com
Tue Jul 13 11:52:00 GMT 2004

Ok,

Now this is progress. When I use '--size-only' then I do see a speedup.
The 'transfer' is virtually instantaneous on the stopwatch, and 'rsync
--stats' reports a speed of a mere 25 bytes/sec but with a reported
speedup of 78125.

I can see why this works, but I remain confused why I should need to
resort to it. This is basically dispensing with the rsync algorithm, no?

The cygwin machine is a Pentium III, 966 Mhz, 512MB of RAM. And the OSX
machine is a 1 Ghz PowerPC G4 with 256MB of RAM. I can't believe
everyone would use rsync as much as they do if it were not useful on
machines of such specifications.

Is there a way to benchmark its hashing algorithm on both sides? Maybe
the rsync process is getting insufficient priority on one side of the
transfer? I remain

puzzled,
Alexis Gallagher