gcc 3.3.1-3 runtime error: static data storage size

Gerrit P. Haase freeweb@nyckelpiga.de
Fri Jul 16 15:21:00 GMT 2004

Christopher wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 10:36:23AM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>>Pietro schrieb:
>>
>>> Gerrit,
>>
>>> I think you just did:
>>
>>> the program should print "ok" upon executing and it didn't. if you debug,
>>> say, with insight, aa.exe will bail before reaching the printf statement,
>>> generating a segmentation violation signal.
>>
>>> let me know. thanks for looking into it.
>>
>>> Pietro

>>Yes, I see.  Yhe problem is the default stack size on cygwin (2 MB), you
>>can increase it.
>>
>>$ gcc -o aa -Wl,--stack,8388608 aa.c
>>
>>$ ./aa
>>ok
>>
>>$ cat aa.c
>>#define NXY 7000
>>
>>int xy[NXY][NXY];
>>main(){
>>printf("ok\n");
>>}

> Why would the stack size affect a global variable?

I don't know.  In this case it seems to work when I define the stack
with 8MB and it doesn't work when I use the default stack settings.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=                                     http://nyckelpiga.de/donate.html