Slight problem with case sensitivity on managed mounts with CVS-1.11.6

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak ronald@landheer.com
Thu Jul 22 14:34:00 GMT 2004

Hello CVS maintainer (et al.),

I've got a slight problem with CVS when running it on a directory
mounted in managed mode: the directory being case-sensitive, ``cvs
update'' should *IMHO* not warn about a file whose name might clash with
another due to its case (and on ``cvs checkout'', it doesn't).

The file in question is called Hash.h, which has a little brother called
hash.h.

The error is emitted on line 1809 of src/client.c, which also contains a
lengthy comment on why the error may be emitted, confirming my hypothesis.

My question is not: "please fix this.." - my question is whether you'd
be interested in a fix. The fix would consist of
* checking whether the file being updated is on a managed mount (don't
   know how to do that yet, but I assume it's possible)
+ if so, assume case-sensitivity
- if not, assume case-insensitivity

The patch would probably be Cygwin-specific, so I doubt it would be
possible to get it up-stream, but I'll try to make it as clean as possible..

I should also note that I have *no* ETA on this: it'll be an
during-lunch-breaks thing - my question is just whether you'd be
interested at all (otherwise, I'll ignore the warning and bite my nails
in stead of scratching this particular itch).

rlc