MySQL Doesn't Respond After Cygwin Install, Please Help Me.

Dave Korn dk@artimi.com
Thu Jul 22 18:30:00 GMT 2004

----snip----
Administrator@b06squ ~
$ mysql -e "create table cygwin(test varchar(25) not null default
'test')Type=MyISAM" mysql

Administrator@b06squ ~
$ mysql -e "insert into cygwin(test) values ('test works')" mysql

Administrator@b06squ ~
$ mysql -e "select * from cygwin" mysql
test
test works

----snip----

That's not what I meant; we know that using "mysql -e" works, what I meant
was to just run "mysql", and then, even though you can't see any output from
it, try typing those commands, just in case it is actually working but all
the output is getting lost.

> :Is the MySQL Win32 binary install perhaps built under cygwin??
>
> No, I installed the binary seperate.

  That's not the point.  The question is, did the people who you got it from
build it with/under cygwin, because if so, their binary install might have
part of the cygwin package in it, and that could clash with your main cygwin
install.

> OK.  I ran the cygcheck and I have attached that for your review.

>	c:\cygwn\bin

  What's this?  An old partial install of cygwin or something?  That could
cause problems.

>	c:\EGCS-1.1.2\Bin

  What's this?  A very very old MinGW compiler install or something?  That
could cause problems.

>  653k 1998/10/30 c:\MySQL\bin\cygwinb19.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
>                  "cygwinb19.dll" v0.0 ts=1998/7/15 12:50

  Yes, as I thought.  The version of MySQL you installed is in fact a cygwin
executable, compiled under cygwin, and it comes with an out-of-date version
of the cygwin dll, and quite possibly a number of other executables that are
clashing with the cygwin versions.  That could also cause problems.

  So, resolving it.  Hmm.  Basically, that MySQL binary install is never
going to be compatible with the cygwin on your system.  If I were you I'd
try building MySQL from source code, using your current and up-to-date
cygwin installation, and if that works, get rid of the old one.

    cheers,
      DaveK