gid and install

David cupcake@sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Jun 2 13:34:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest cygwin from planetmirror
but the install fails on my Windows2000. I click on
install and after going through the prompts, it dies.

Probably because I am on a locked down machine where
I cannot write to the registry - in other words,
I cannot be the administrator.

In any event, I get this message: "Changing gid to Users"
and then "Could not open Service control manager."

What I have done in past is install on my home machine,
tar up the cygwin directory, and then untar it onto
my Windows2000 and add bin to the path - which gives me
what I want.

Is there another way to do this?

Thanks,

David