decoding sshd failure

Andy Rushton ajr1@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jun 4 11:40:00 GMT 2004

Someone wrote:

>>>Below is a fragment of output from sshd -d -d -d
>>>
>>>Can someone tell me why it doesn't like my publickey?  I think I've done
>>>everything right, but no joy.  I can login using the password just fine.

Sorry, I missed the start of this thread so I don't know who the
original author is but I have some suggestions:

I had a problem with ssh not finding my .ssh directory. It turned out
that ssh gets your home directory from /etc/passwd and not from $HOME
and in my case, for perverse Windows-related reasons I don't understand,
this was different. Editing /etc/passwd fixed it. Check the path that
ssh is reporting that its looking in and check that this is the right place.

Also, I had an embarrassing error the first time I set this up - being
British I spelt authorized_keys with an 's' not a 'z'. It took me a
while to spot the problem.

You don't say what your directory structure is, so could one of these be
the problem?

Andy

--
Andy Rushton, Southampton, UK