Textmode mounts broken in cygwin 1.5.10-3

W. Tuchan 0005@gmx.net
Wed Jun 9 12:37:00 GMT 2004

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

>>>The mounts are not looked up because you are specifying a Windows path.
>>>
>>>Pierre
>>
>>If that is the reaseon then 1.5.10-3 behaves different that 1.5.9.
>>Unfortunately I cannot change the path easyly because it is generated
>>from nmake.
>

> I think Cygwin always meant to consider paths with a \ as Windows
> paths, but that was not consistently enforced until 1.5.10
> AFAIK there is no way to specify a default for Windows paths.
> Perhaps the cygdrive choice could apply to them as well, but
> changing anything in this area is sure to break something, somewhere.
>
> Pierre

As I can see from other post as well the last change has already broken
something. And the reasoning is not clear for me. Are Windows paths not
considered because Windows files do not contain Windows style endlines?
Or ist it because unix programs tolerating Windows paths should be able
to cope with them.
By the way I have always wondered how cygwin distinguishes between text
and binary files on a textmode mount.