License issue

Christopher Faylor cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com
Wed Jun 16 17:10:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 06:49:44PM +0300, Baurjan Ismagulov wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 11:25:38AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> The reason this doesn't count is not because we have an arbitrary restriction
>> on the license.  It is because it is extremely unlikely that you are going
>> to send a postal mail offer to every person who acquires the Cygwin DLL.
>
>I see. But I suppose, for an example described in
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-06/msg00678.html , providing a piece of
>paper with such an offer in the product box should count as fulfilment
>of clause 3b?

So, basically, your question is: "If I distribute the Cygwin DLL under
the precise terms of the GPL will there be a problem?"

The answer is: The Cygwin DLL is distributed under the terms of the GPL.

Corinna's reply to this thread was the standard one of expressing doubt
that anyone would adhere to the exact terms of 3b.  If you do so, you
must keep the exact sources for the binary that you distributed
somewhere to be made available to anyone who asks.  However, if you
think this is an option and want to vault the sources and distribute
your software with a written offer then it should be ok since you
are complying with the intent of 3b.

cgf