home directory.

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak ronald@landheer.com
Wed Jun 16 18:33:00 GMT 2004

Vince Hoffman wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Chris W wrote:
>

>>It seems that somewhere $HOME is getting set to /cygdrive/c.  I want it
>>to be /home/$USER like the /etc/profile would set it to if it wasn't
>>already set to /cygdrive/c.  So where do I change that?
>>

> Have a look at your windows environment variables. (type set from a
> windows command prompt) or to see and change them (if on 2k/xp not sure
> for 9x its been too long,) right click "my computer", select
> properties, then select the "advanced' tab, then select environment
> variables.
When you've done that, if HOME is set there, some program you've already
installed probably needs it for something. You should probably edit your
cygwin.bat to set it to something more appropriate for Cygwin and leave
the one in your Windows environment alone..

Unless, of course, you know what you're doing and/or you want to use
Cygwin applications that use the HOME environment variable outside of
the shell presented by cygwin.bat, in which case your Windows settings
is what you want to change..

HTH

rlc