Problem creating files on network drives with cygwin 1.5.10-3 and tar

Pierre A. Humblet pierre.humblet@ieee.org
Wed Jun 16 20:05:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 12:14:49PM -0700, Rick Rankin wrote:
> --- "Pierre A. Humblet" <pierre.humblet@ieee.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:10:09AM -0700, Rick Rankin wrote:
> > >
> > > OK, it *must* be something specific to the particular share I've been
> > working
> > > with. I just mapped some other drives from other servers, tried the same
> > tar
> > > command, and it worked just fine. The puzzling part is that on the problem
> > > share, the *only* thing that fails is tar. I can create files with touch,
> > cp,
> > > vim, etc., etc. and I can remove them with rm, so it doesn't appear to be a
> > > permission problem. It's also not a space problem, so I'm back to building
> > the
> > > debug versions...
> >
> > Try writing a one line program that opens the file with flags 0x601.
> > That's what tar does (from your strace)
> > 0 = fhandler_disk_file::open (m:\test.tar, 0x601)
> >

> OK, I gave that a try, and it behaves identically to tar, i.e., it works
> everywhare but on the one share. Not surprisingly, the strace output for a run
> where it fails on that share is almost identical to the strace output for when
> tar fails on that share, at least for the relevant section.
>
> FWIW, I've attached the C source and resulting strace output.
>
> Rick

Due to the way the debug_printf are located in fhandler_base::open (PTC),
more information is displayed in case of success than in case of failure.
So it would be interesting to rerun strace after touching the file.
Doing a strace .... | fgrep NtCreateFile
should already give most of the useful info.

Also, is 0x601 the only combination that fails?

Pierre