find the path for cygwin root from windows script

bertrand marquis bertrand_marquis@yahoo.fr
Thu Jun 17 15:35:00 GMT 2004

Luc Hermitte a écrit:

>Hello,
>
>* On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 11:12:00AM +0200, bertrand marquis <bertrand_marquis@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>

>>   i need to be able to find where cygwin is install from a .bat script
>>under windows to run cygwin programs.
>>Does anyone has a solution to do that automaticaly ?
>>

>    cygpath -m /

I agree that is working but only if your path is set correctly and to do
that you need to know where cygwin has been installed

>However, this solution requires that cygwin directories are visible from
>your $PATH. In other words, you won't really need to know where they are
>installed.

Anyway i found a solution looking into the windows registry where this
is writting when cygwin is installed.
Here is an example which start an xterm.

::start of file xterm.bat
@echo off
SET DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

REM Look for cygwin entry in windows registry
REGEDIT /E %Temp%.\tmp-cygwin.reg "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus
Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/"> nul

REM Check if something has been found
if not exist %Temp%.\tmp-cygwin.reg goto EXITNOCYGWIN

REM Get the native key from windows registry result
FOR /F "tokens=1* delims==" %%A IN ('TYPE %Temp%.\tmp-cygwin.reg ^| FIND
"native"') DO SET CYGWIN_ROOT=%%B> nul

REM Remove quotes
SET CYGWIN_ROOT=%CYGWIN_ROOT:"=%> nul

REM Remove temporary file
if exist %Temp%.\tmp-cygwin.reg del %Temp%.\tmp-cygwin.reg

REM Check if we have found something
if "%CYGWIN_ROOT%" == "" goto EXITNOCYGWIN

REM Export Cygwin path
SET
PATH=.;%CYGWIN_ROOT%\bin;%CYGWIN_ROOT%\usr\X11R6\bin;%CYGWIN_ROOT%\opt\elinos\bin;%PATH%

run xterm

exit

:EXITNOCYGWIN
echo no cygwin entry has been found in registry
pause

::end of file

I only have two questions left:
- is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
always the place where i can find the mounts in the registry

- is there a way to check that there is actually a X server running on
127.0.0.1 from a windows script. As this if there isn't i could start one.