CYGWIN/BASH CHMOD on W9x.

jglong3@att.net jglong3@att.net
Mon Jun 21 20:31:00 GMT 2004

Hello, :)

FYI,,,,Please be patient,,,,I am a NEWBIE using the CYGWIN/BASH environment. I did use UNIX, but that was many years ago (pre 1985) and I have a lot to re-learn.

Thanks for your time, help, and advise!!! :)

CYGWIN/BASH dated 5/25/2004 Version 1.5.10-3 was installed to a W98 machine and all is woking great. The install was a minimum CYGWIN/BASH for using SSHD and SSH.

On this W98 machine an attempt to chmod for directories and files to try and prevent users from crossing over to other user's directories was not successful. And, after looking at some Archives it was found that this cannot be done on a W9x type machine.

   1. The articles were dated circa 2002 and I was curious if this had
      ever become an issue to implement in the CYGWIN/BASH
      environment for W9x, or is this a dead issue for W9x machines????

An article dated Nov. 200, Re: fetchmail by Corinna Vinschen was found that described how to do this for a W98 with a fetchmail environment. The direction discussed a change in the fetchmail environmment for the function 'check-ntsec' in the source code file 'cygwin_util.c'. The environment here is low on resources for any compiler/linker type environment and as a result does not contain the CYGWIN source code or the compile/link capability with any c, c++, or API to create *.exe or *.dll files.

  2.  However, given the minimal environment that was delivered can
      a CYGWIN/BASH source code file change accomplish the
      security check with a recompile/link?????

If so, then a machine will be found with resources so that this can be accomplished.

 3. Or, has someone been succesful to chmod with a W9x environment ????

Thanks for your time, hep, amd advise!!! :) :)

Jerry