Uninstalling cygwin

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Wed Jun 23 09:52:00 GMT 2004

Thorsten Kampe schrieb:
> * luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au (2004-06-23 01:56 +0200)
>
>>A colleague at work is having some problems that are starting to look
>>as though they're due to a permission problem.
>>
>>I note that the FAQ at http://cygwin.com/faq.html says that Cygwin has
>>no automatic uninstall facility.  Since setup lets you choose to
>>uninstall, is that an error in the FAQ, or have I misunderstood setup's
>>uninstall option?
>

> No, you misunderstood the FAQ. With setup.exe you can uninstall
> individual packages but not Cygwin. To uninstall Cygwin you have to:

first kill all running cygwin programs and services.

   killall script in distro and automatic detection of cygwin services
   still pending.
   use e.g. pskill or procexp from www.sysinternals.com
   and net stop <service_name> or cygrunsrv --remove <service_name>

> rmdir /s /q C:\cygwin

login as Administrator to remove pending files and directories for which
you have no permissions.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/