cygwin installer

Robert Collins rbcollins@cygwin.com
Wed Jun 23 23:42:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 05:20, John Morrison wrote:
> > From: Hemal Pandya
> >
> > Great information. I vote this be added to install doc.
>
> I wouldn't - folks appear to have enough difficulties as it is without
> adding ways 'around' setup.exe (I know, for the power/advanced user it
> is a technique, but...).

What Chris suggests will work now, and for the foreseeable future. It
preserves all setup.exe's tracking data, so setup.exe runs, and
postinstall scripts will be preserved.

There are a few missing gotchas -
ssh host keys need to be regenerated
services installed with cygrunsrv need to be reinstalled
/etc/password may need to be updated depending on the windows
authentication layout

but they are all fairly simple.

Rob