Old Cygwin Versions -or- Elusive Compatability Problem

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Jun 24 13:55:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Alan Larkin wrote:

> I posted on this subject quite some time ago, but the problem has reared
> its ugly head once again.
>
> I have a C/C++ project which I compile using the Autotools via Cygwin.
> The project is a Java profiler built upon the Java Virtual Machine
> Profiling Interface (JVMPI). The problem is that although the build
> passes off okay, any attempt to run the program (which is plugged into
> the JVM using the -Xrun flag) causes a completely silent crash ... not a
> hint of an error message or error log.

FWIW, I didn't find a -Xrun flag in the Sun JDK.  I did find a -Xrunhprof
flag, which doesn't seem to allow running an external program...  You
should let the list know if you're using another JDK.  BTW, from your
description above, it's unclear whether you actually run an executable, or
dynamically load a DLL.  If the latter, you should know that the Cygwin
DLL is not amenable to dynamic loading, and there are no plans to fix it
ATM.

If the former, you did try running the Cygwin process under strace, right?
I would ask whether the program even *finds* the necessary DLLs, but the
fact that it worked with 1.5.5 is a good indication that it does.  Does
the program run when invoked from the command line separately?

> Before, I (*eventually*) discovered that the problem was caused by the
> Cygwin dll. I was then probably using version 1.5.9-1. I rolled this back to
> 1.5.5-1, which necessitated the rolling back of ash to version 20031007-1.
> This did the trick and everything worked as it should.
>
> I have not updated my Cygwin since, for fear it would cause the crash again.
> However another member of our group is now attempting to use my software. He
> downloaded the latest Cygwin files and sure enough there was the silent
> crash. He attempted to roll back from Cygwin 1.5.10-3 to 1.5.9ish (Im not
> sure exactly which version it was but it was the oldest one available) but
> still no joy.
>
> So the question is either what could be causing this problem, OR how do we
> get older versions of the Cygwin dll? I can send a tar.gz of the project to
> anyone who really wants to try investigate this problem, although it does
> involve some configury. Preferably, if there is any information that could
> help to diagnose it, ask and ye shall receive.
>
> Many thanks,
> Al.

See above.  It would help to know exactly what you're doing, at least the
exact version of Java you're running and the command line for the java
invocation.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/