Creating DLL's for use with MSVC

Niklas Wallin niklas.wallin@foi.se
Wed Mar 10 15:29:00 GMT 2004

Thanks for your answer Alejandro, I still can't get it right though.

class MyClass
{
public:
   MyClass();
   ~MyClass();
   int getValue();
   void setValue(int val);
private:
    int value_;
};

> Try:
>
> cc++ -shared -mno-cygwin -o mydll.dll mydll.cpp \
> 	-Wl,--out-implib=mydll.lib \
> 	-W1,--output-def=mydll.def \
> 	-W1,--export-all-symbols \
> 	-Wl,--enable-auto-import \
> 	-Wl,--enable-auto-image-base \
> 	-Wl,--compat-implib \
> 	-Wl,--add-stdcall-alias \
> 	-Wl,--enable-stdcall-fixup

Ok, the .def file then looks like this:

EXPORTS
     _ZN7MyClass8getValueEv @1
     _ZN7MyClass8setValueEi @2
     _ZN7MyClassC1Ev @3
     _ZN7MyClassC2Ev @4
     _ZN7MyClassD1Ev @5
     _ZN7MyClassD2Ev @6

> Yu should recycle recycle your def file. You see, it will contain a
> lot of unnecessary symbols, so... After you have obtained a def file
> above, edit it to include only the symbols you really need exported
> and include it in your project for future use. Then you can do:

I guess I don't have to edit this file

> cc++ -shared -mno-cygwin -o mydll.dll mydll.cpp mydll.def \
> 	-Wl,--out-implib=mydll.lib \
> 	-Wl,--compat-implib \
> 	-Wl,--enable-auto-import \
> 	-Wl,--enable-auto-image-base \
> 	-Wl,--add-stdcall-alias \
> 	-Wl,--enable-stdcall-fixup
>
> To obtain a well behaved dll and a (probably?) usable import library.

If the .dll and .lib file is correct I can't tell. When I try to link
the .lib file with an MSVC executable it still can't find the
references. I am not sure what to expect, should the lib, def and dll
contain Cygwin decorated symbols (which is the case now) or the MSVC
symbols? Or do I have to add any flags to the MSVC linker (compiler) to
solve the name differences?

/ Niklas