Apache obatined in Cygwin Setup is FOREIGN

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Mar 20 14:58:00 GMT 2004

George,

Please change either your style of reply quoting or your signature.  I had
to jump through hoops to be able to include the full thread history in my
reply, as pine kept cutting it off at the '-- ' in your signature.  Also,
please try not to quote raw e-mail addresses in your replies.  More below.

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, George Hester wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, George Hester wrote:
> >
> > > I downloaded and installed the Apache Server from the Cygwin setup.
> > > It's in Chinese and Russian.  At least the index.html is NOT English.
> > > How do I remove this and get the English version?  Thanks.
> >
> > Apache comes with the index.html page in multiple languages.  It selects
> > the page to display based on your browser's accepted language preference.
> > Try telnetting to the apache port and requesting 'GET / HTTP/1.0', and see
> > which page is returned.
> > Igor
>
> OK Igor I can try that.  I actually have a few language prefs in my
> browser.  I suppose if I remove the non-English ones that may fix it.
> But you know this is not right.  Apache should pull out the language
> pref from the top which is English (US) in my case en-us.  There must be
> a setting that is incorrect where the Apache is looking at 2nd 3rd pref
> instead of 1st pref.

I've just verified that Cygwin's Apache (which is version 1.3.29) doesn't
recognize "en-US" (but does recognize "en").  This may be a bug in
Apache...

> Let me see what happens when I remove the other language prefs...yup
> that did it.  The secondary and tertiary language prefs are interfering.

Try adding "en" after "en-US"...

> Another thing I am noticing.  When I start the Apache server logout no
> lomger works in Cygwin.  The bash shell just hangs.  In fact it has hung
> through the entire write of this post.  I have to kill the Cygwin
> session by "X" the command console window.

I don't see this on Win2k SP3, Cygwin 1.5.8.  But then, I run apache as a
service.  You didn't provide enough information to allow others to attempt
to reproduce this.  Please review the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines
at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> and try again...  Make sure to
provide the exact sequence of actions that results in the hang.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu