[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: zsh-4.2.0-1

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Fri Mar 26 20:14:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> * Peter A. Castro (2004-03-26 18:10 +0100)
> > BTW, I've tried many, many ways to reproduce your original hang
> > problem but am still unable to do so.
>
> One last try: I have recently set option "autocd"[1]. Now when I type
> something like "adksfaj" the delay (~ 10 seconds) is the same like
> with the correction mechanism ("/skjhf/aksjfdh"). It is noticeable
> that unlike normal completions I cannot stop the "hanging" search (or
> whatever it is) by [Ctrl]-[C].
>
> In /this case/ I have found the "culprit": I have "/" in my CDPATH[2].
> When I remove "/" it "works" normally by instantly saying "command not
> found". Of course this "doesn't make sense" as there are only nine
> directories in "/" and of course having "/" in cdpath is okay on my
> Linux box.

FWIW, I know nothing about zsh; I don't use it; but your statement above
triggered an association, so here's a WAG.  Many applications assume that
having multiple trailing slashes is equivalent to having one slash (and it
is in Linux).  I have seen applications blindly appending a "/" to a path,
just to make sure it ends in a / (don't know if zsh does it).  This, of
course, doesn't work in Cygwin when the path is just a "/", because a "//"
prefix is special.  I'd look through the path composition pieces of the
zsh code to see if "/" is ever appended -- I think that might be your
culprit.  The fix would be to check whether a path ends in "/" before
appending one.  HTH,
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/