AS Perl versus cygwin Perl

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Sun May 2 15:42:00 GMT 2004

zzapper schrieb:
> On Sat, 01 May 2004 19:49:04 +0200,  wrote:
>>>Is this just my experience? (I've tried disabling AS-Perl before doing
>>>my installs)
>>
>>DBD::mysql still has a cygwin install problem, that it expects the mysql
>>client with sockets to work. And the default host is still "localhost"
>>and not "127.0.0.1". (Yes, I've reported that before, sent patches,
>>often enough)
>>
>>via cpan you have to do:
>>cpan look DBD::mysql
>>perl Makefile.PL --testhost=127.0.0.1
>>make
>>make test
>>make install
>
> Thanx for that, I run Win32 mysql is that also a problem?

No, native mysql is the only stable server. We all use the native mysql
server builts (besides gerrit maybe), only postgresql is used under cygwin.
http://anfaenger.de/cygwin-1.5/mysql/ has the binaries.

The clients should be able to compile for cygwin with no problems
(Gerrit does this usually, aee url above, esp. for mysql_config), but
they are not in setup.

> Should I be able to keep both AS-Perl as /local/bin/perl and
> Cygwin-Perl /bin/perl or would you advise otherwise?

I don't put AS-Perl in /usr/local/bin, I have it in C:/Perl/bin
and use it only occasionally. Such as for special Win32 CGI's or PPM stuff.
This is then done with special handlers, or the she-bang line at the top
of the script.
You can easily put "C:/Perl/bin" to the front of your PATH in scripts
where you need AS-Perl.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/