Run Windows application via ssh

Brian Dessent brian@dessent.net
Mon May 3 16:44:00 GMT 2004

Mauro Migliorati wrote:

> I manage to connect via ssh but, when I try to open an application, like
> notepad, it does not appear on the client screen.

This will not work unless the application is an X Windows program.
Native windows apps cannot be used remotely with ssh, because they are
not network-aware.  This may be possible with remote desktop/terminal
server/etc, but it's outside the scope of Cygwin.  All that ssh can do
is forward a stream of bytes across the connection.  The application
must be designed to work in this manner, such as X11 apps.  Ssh cannot
work miracles.

Brian