Scripts for calling Internet Explorer,Explorer,Word,Access,Excel from Cygwin

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Sun May 9 14:11:00 GMT 2004

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Sat, 8 May 2004, zzapper wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> With help from this NG have created the following scripts, I think
>> they are very useful especially wexp. (Paths to various apps on your
>> PC may vary of course). Excepting wexp all require a filename as
>> parameter eg > wmdb test.mdb
>>
>> wexp : Launch Windows Explorer with correct "Windows" path
>> wint : Launch Internet Explorer with correct "Windows" path
>> wop : Launch Opera with correct "Windows" path
>> wpdf : Launch Acrobat Reader with correct "Windows" path
>> wxls : Launch Excel with correct "Windows" path
>> wdoc : Launch Word with correct "Windows" path
>> wmdb : Launch Access with correct "Windows" path
>

> David,
>
> I hate to rain on your parade, but have you tried "cygstart"? If you have
> the Explorer file associations set up correctly (i.e., double-clicking on
> a .mdb file launches Access, etc), you should simply be able to say
>
> $ cygstart test.mdb
>
> to pop up Access. Similarly, "cygstart ." (or any other directory) should
> pop up Windows Explorer.

Hell even explorer . works! (I admit it doesn't address other things
like POSIX paths and other applications though I rarely get the urge to
start MS Access ;-) ).

--
I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons
and forks so I wondered, what do Chinese mothers use? Toothpicks?