ssh cvs binmode problems

calvin calvins@protempore.net
Mon May 10 22:29:00 GMT 2004

hi,

I've been trying to get cvs over ssh working correctly, and cannot manage
to add a binary file unless i do it from the server.

I've come across information that leads me to believe that this is a
CR/LF issue, and that setting the CYGWIN environment variable to
binmode should solve the problem. I've set both the server CYGWIN and the
local CYGWIN to binmode, and added a test binary file with -kb option (for
binaries), but the file is corrupted when I check it out again. If I add
the files from the server itself, then they are not corrupted when I check
them out again.

The repository is stored on a windows partition (ntfs), and here is some
mount information about the repository location:

$ mount
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type system
(binmode)
\everestUsersCalvin on /home/Calvin/testing type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (textmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (textmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (textmode)
e: on /cygdrive/e type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type system (binmode,noumount)

The e partition is the ntfs partition on which the cvsroot is located, at
E:\cvsRepository, or /cygdrive/e/cvsRepository. The CVSROOT variable I'm
using is :ext:Calvin@some-hostname.com:/cygdrive/e/cvsRepository, and
things are working fine except that I can't add binaries unless I first
scp them to the server and add them locally.

I also tried adding a mount point for the repository itself, like so:

mount -b e:\cvsRepository /cvs

But this also resulted in corrupt binaries, as well as an obscure error
about an error in the CVSROOT/config file.

thanks,

calvin